Thursday, January 27, 2011

English 1020 and 1010 on 1/27/2011

This was an interesting night.  In English 1020, we went over classification essays, and students began working on a rough draft of it.  The topics to choose from were at the end of chapter 11 and the two writing topics at the end of the reading selection that was due today.  The students had some good discussions going about some of the topic choices.

In English 1010, almost half the class was absent.  A few got in touch with me about illnesses.  I hope all those who are sick get well soon!  We had a comma quiz which cannot be made up, but if the students approach me, they can get a copy of the quiz to use to help study for tests.  We also went over chapters 1 and 2 in the book, and had an in-class writing assignment.  The assignment was to do some pre-writing, and if time, move on to writing, about one of three possible topics from a scholarship contest:
1) What are your educational goals?
2) How will winning this scholarship help me reach my goals?
3) Write about a time when "hard work" paid off.

The writing has to be 250 words or less, and came from http://www.jumpstart-scholarship.net.  I collected what students got finished, so if you missed class, try to get this done over the weekend.  I'm trying to encourage all of you to go out for scholarships!

I hope everyone has a good weekend, and I'll see you next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment